Start Blogging Today. I’ll Show You How.
I have gotten a lot of questions lately from people who want to blog but just don’t know where to start, so I thought I’d do a series and walk you through the process from the very beginning.
Today I’m going to show you how to initially set up your blog. Actually, you’ll install WordPress, change your theme and write your first post in just a few minutes…9 minutes and 7 seconds, to be exact.
Of course, I do recommend you actually confirm things you type in and read what you’re clicking on, so while you certainly can follow along with me click by click and do it all in 9 minutes and 7 seconds, I recommend you set aside 15-20 minutes to be safe.
Let’s Get Started!
To speed the process up, though, get a few things ready…
Step 1: Get Your Stuff
Have your payment information handy.
Step 2: Open two browser windows side by side.
You might make my video smaller in the corner, but having them side by side will speed up the process so you can simply follow along with what I do. You could also open my video on your phone or tablet.
Step 3: Let’s go!
Click here to go to the Media Temple website.
In this video I recommend Media Temple web hosting. I take your trust very seriously, so I’d like to tell you why I recommend Media Temple.
1. HISTORY – I’ve used Media Temple on all my top sites (including this one) for nearly 10 years. They have been rock solid for me.
2. SERVICE – Twice, I’ve had a WordPress plugin go crazy on me and mess up my site. Media Temple not only restored my site to a previous backup they had, but they even waived an overage fee because of that plugin. I didn’t even ask them to do that. I love great customer service.
3. SCALE – Media Temple’s GRID hosting can handle all my sites on one single account AND it can handle any huge surges in traffic because of the grid structure. Many normal shared hosting services get bogged down if one site gets a surge in traffic, or worse yet, they will just shut down your site. Media Temple’s GRID servers simply scale to your needs so you never have to worry about massive growth stalling your site.
And should you ever want to easily upgrade to dedicated WordPress hosting (unnecessary for most beginning bloggers) or a dedicated server, Media Temple offers both. Basically, MT can grow with your site no matter how quickly you grow.
4. QUALITY – I love the fact that major companies like ABC, Disney, Oakley and more choose Media Temple. They are also a preferred choice of many designers and developers. It’s like buying the car that car repairmen choose. You know you’re getting quality.
5. TECHNICIANS – Finally, I like that they offer handy tech services. If you need help with your blog, whether it’s installing plugins, speeding up your site or moving it from another host, they have techs that can handle it all for you.
The bottom line is that MT has been a rock for me and it’s the only host I’ve put through the ringer without any problems. There are cheaper options, but I believe Media Temple is the best balance of value and quality.
I especially like that Media Temple is upfront about their pricing. They just have one simply monthly rate. When it comes to money and technical things, I like simple.
Most of the hosting companies with super low “monthly rates” only to tell you halfway through the checkout process that you have to pay hundreds of dollars upfront to get that “low monthly price.”
Ready to set up your first blog? Click play on the video above and let’s get started!
If you have any questions, just ask them below and I’ll do my best to answer them for you!